I was thinking about life the other day. It really is such an odd thing… you are placed on Earth for a short period of time (let’s be honest, even 100 years goes by in a flash) and then you are gone (where you go depends on your beliefs).
While I am here I certainly want to have the best life possible. I think I speak for most people in the sense that we all want to make the most of the time we have been given.
This concept means different things to different people. Yes, I want to travel to as many places on Earth as possible. Yes, I want to own a fancy car, a fancy house and wear fancy clothes. Yes, I want a chiselled body. Yes, I want a successful business. Yes, I want to experience all the amazing things that life has to offer. These are goals and everyone should have goals, but in the end, your goals (and whether or not you achieved them) don’t matter!
I believe what matters more is how you impact others’ lives while you are alive, even if it is the slightest impact you make. How you help others, how you look after others, how you make others feel and what you do for people. I have been wrestling this concept for a while and trying to think how I can impact others’ lives, when I realised that I can do this in my everyday life with the smallest good deed or gesture, and I simply need to take little steps every day.
I have come up with a few pointers for you to use in your everyday life to become a better person:
- Smile at a stranger
- Be polite always- please, thank-you
- Give people gaps in traffic
- Obey the rules of the road
- Integrity with the little stuff- don’t litter; put the shopping cart back at the store; tell the cashier she gave you extra change
- Offer assistance if you can- give someone a lift; do someone a favour; carry the heavy chair
- Contact someone you haven’t heard from in a while
- Give the car guard or petrol attendant a R20 note now and then
- Listen more than you speak
- Make an effort to stop swearing (this is a tough one!)
- Compliment people regularly
- Lend stuff to people if they ask
- No gossiping
- Get to know people more by asking them about their life
- Make people feel special on days like their Birthday
- Teach someone something new
- Don’t be selfish- let him/ her watch what they want on TV, eat what they would like for dinner and do something they would like in their spare time.
- Brag about someone other than yourself
- Swallow your pride- say sorry, admit when you are wrong, and stop talking about yourself and your interests all the time
- Ask about their day
There are so many more things that can be added to the list! Now to put them into action, little by little 🙂
“It’s certainly not wrong to want to be a better person. God gave us that desire.”
Do you have any pointers to add to my list?